OK, we're back and entering the final bit before departure. Two-and-a-half weeks!! Eek!
Dates like that are a little abstract, so what does moving half-way around the world in two-and-a-half-weeks really mean?
At least in the Van Wyk Zimmerman house it means lots of lists. Lots and lots of lists. Life seems much more manageable when it is reduced to the next item on the to-do list. "No, I am not moving half-way around the world. I am just updating the blog. Then I am loading the car. Then I am taking a load to the storage center...." So yes, lots of lists. And we do our best list-making with a glass of wine and dinner at the Highland Grill.
This weekend's list was mostly a shopping list, or rather, many shopping lists. Which was really just an excuse to spend the first full Spring weekend in the Mall of America. Yeah lots of people in an enclosed space with no fresh air and lots of artificial noise! Yeah! But we think we are getting close to having everything we need for the move; although it is incredibly hard to know how much gfree shampoo we need for two years.
It looks like we aren't going to be able to sell the house. Shocking, I know, that in this economy we couldn't sell our house in three weeks, but true. Instead, we are going to rent it. We aren't really sure what that means, but the to-do list now has a lot of research items on it. Any renting advice you all can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Taking the house off the market, though, means that we don't have to keep it super-clean and ready for a showing. Which means that we have started our final sorting and packing. The movers are coming on Friday (double eek!!!) to pack our goods for the air and boat shipments, so we are currently in the process of dividing all our possessions into five piles: "on the plane," "through the air," "on the boat," "to storage," "Arc donation."
Piles, piles, piles. There are piles and piles and piles everywhere. We think our piles make sense, but I guess we won't know until Friday. If it is incredibly difficult to make the decisions of what to take and what to leave in storage, it feels really good to be doing some major purging. One of the better consequences of this move is that it gives us the opportunity to really simplify our lives and pare down our possessions.
OK, I guess I can check the first item off my to-do list for the day: update blog, done. What's next? OK, load the car. Then a storage run and errands and shopping Oh, I guess there is more shopping to do. Well, just follow the list. Don't think about it, just do what the list says next...
Dates like that are a little abstract, so what does moving half-way around the world in two-and-a-half-weeks really mean?
At least in the Van Wyk Zimmerman house it means lots of lists. Lots and lots of lists. Life seems much more manageable when it is reduced to the next item on the to-do list. "No, I am not moving half-way around the world. I am just updating the blog. Then I am loading the car. Then I am taking a load to the storage center...." So yes, lots of lists. And we do our best list-making with a glass of wine and dinner at the Highland Grill.
(Red wine, red vinyl booths, red formica table, and lots of lists!)
This weekend's list was mostly a shopping list, or rather, many shopping lists. Which was really just an excuse to spend the first full Spring weekend in the Mall of America. Yeah lots of people in an enclosed space with no fresh air and lots of artificial noise! Yeah! But we think we are getting close to having everything we need for the move; although it is incredibly hard to know how much gfree shampoo we need for two years.
It looks like we aren't going to be able to sell the house. Shocking, I know, that in this economy we couldn't sell our house in three weeks, but true. Instead, we are going to rent it. We aren't really sure what that means, but the to-do list now has a lot of research items on it. Any renting advice you all can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Taking the house off the market, though, means that we don't have to keep it super-clean and ready for a showing. Which means that we have started our final sorting and packing. The movers are coming on Friday (double eek!!!) to pack our goods for the air and boat shipments, so we are currently in the process of dividing all our possessions into five piles: "on the plane," "through the air," "on the boat," "to storage," "Arc donation."
(New large luggage, a load for storage)
Piles, piles, piles. There are piles and piles and piles everywhere. We think our piles make sense, but I guess we won't know until Friday. If it is incredibly difficult to make the decisions of what to take and what to leave in storage, it feels really good to be doing some major purging. One of the better consequences of this move is that it gives us the opportunity to really simplify our lives and pare down our possessions.
OK, I guess I can check the first item off my to-do list for the day: update blog, done. What's next? OK, load the car. Then a storage run and errands and shopping Oh, I guess there is more shopping to do. Well, just follow the list. Don't think about it, just do what the list says next...


AAAAAHH!
ReplyDeleteIt probably won't help for me to comment about how anxious this makes me. Like, every time you post a blog, for the next two years.
Alan writes: "We had an awesome weekend in Dubai!" Katherine writes: "AAAAHH!"
You really had no idea how lame I am, did you? :)