Knowledge is, in one of its forms, simply the accumulation of experiences. Today, while visiting a friend in the hospital, I learned two things.
First, Bangaloreans love their horns. The five foot tall sign painted on the wall marking off the drop-off/pick-up zone at the hospital entrance reading "Strictly Prohibited: No Horns" was ignored almost as completely as the signs admonishing drivers to "Obey Lane Discipline." Even when the traffic guard was at someones window pointing at the sign reminding them that they were at a hospital the horn was still blaring.
Second, Bangaloreans love their mobiles. While watching what I took to be a son - about 50 years old - helping his dad - about 80 years old - into their car I thought I would be witness to a moral dilemma when the sons phone started ringing in his pocket: would he let the call go unanswered and help his dad or would he answer the call? Well, apparently there was no dilemma: with a quick knee to the back to offer support, the call was answered before the second ring, and dad was left precariously teetering between the wheel chair and the front seat as he struggled to get in on his own.
The hospital, though, was top notch, so if you ever need surgery, make it a great excuse to visit. I hear the medical care is really cheap, too.
First, Bangaloreans love their horns. The five foot tall sign painted on the wall marking off the drop-off/pick-up zone at the hospital entrance reading "Strictly Prohibited: No Horns" was ignored almost as completely as the signs admonishing drivers to "Obey Lane Discipline." Even when the traffic guard was at someones window pointing at the sign reminding them that they were at a hospital the horn was still blaring.
Second, Bangaloreans love their mobiles. While watching what I took to be a son - about 50 years old - helping his dad - about 80 years old - into their car I thought I would be witness to a moral dilemma when the sons phone started ringing in his pocket: would he let the call go unanswered and help his dad or would he answer the call? Well, apparently there was no dilemma: with a quick knee to the back to offer support, the call was answered before the second ring, and dad was left precariously teetering between the wheel chair and the front seat as he struggled to get in on his own.
The hospital, though, was top notch, so if you ever need surgery, make it a great excuse to visit. I hear the medical care is really cheap, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment