Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A place to study

As most of you know, I entered India on a spousal EntryVisa, and so am not technically allowed to work, at least not for pay.  But I was able to secure a visiting scholar position at DVK/Christ University.  We aren't quite sure what the position will look like - there is talk of a lecture/mini-seminar, and maybe leading a seminar or two - but at a minimum it will mean access to a library and conversation with other researchers.  I am very excited, to say the least.

Today I went over to campus to drop off some paperwork, and snapped a few quick photos.  Not my best photography, but here it is:


The main walk up to the administrative building of DVK, an athenaeum attached to Christ University, and the host institution of the philosophy and theology departments for Christ University. 


Enlightened Jesus (the emblem for DVK).




Aquinas, Socrates, Sankara: the proper statuary for a philosophy department at a Catholic university in India.  


Courtyard of the philosophy building, DVK.


Courtyard from "Block II" at Christ University.  I am not sure what departments are in Block II, but there is a really inspiring sculpture in the middle of the courtyard, and a lot of rowdy kids in the classrooms.  


Some things are universal: the fancy stairway that goes from the science classrooms and offices on the first floor, to the business school offices and classrooms on the second floor.


A very bad picture of the very impressive main entrance to the student center at Christ University.


A less bad picture of the still very impressive entrance to the student center at Christ University. 


Lecture hall at DVK.


The best thing about campus: peace and quiet!
(Well, the best thing about campus is the library; it is amazing: two four-story octagons that house the stacks and the periodicals and are open in the middle, connected by a central building that has the computer lab, reference section, two lecture halls, and admin offices,  with a "library garden" off the back, since all truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.  Unfortunately the library has a bit stricter of a no-photography policy.)  

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a beautiful and peaceful campus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan: I am so excited for you. What a wonderful opportunity. Love You.

    ReplyDelete