Sunday, September 16, 2012

Yep, that's our dog

As most of you know, one of the more difficult things about moving to India was leaving Yogi behind.  This has been made much easier by the fact that our Uncle Tom and Aunt Louisa (UT and OFA) agreed to take care of him while we are away.  He is having an amazing time at Camp UP; he is still a little shit with Houdini like escape skills and a cat-like love of yarn – he is as much of a bad influence on Kiimi as Kiimi is a good influence on him – but it seems like he is learning and growing as much as we are.  This is his latest adventure, as told to us in his most recent letter home from camp:


I am REALLY brave (or maybe a little reckless!)  Anyway, because it got warm so early, the bears were out, but they didn’t have food, so they would go for bird seed.  This one bear opened the metal garbage can where UT stored the bird seed so we knew he was in the neighborhood.  He got the can two different nights.  Then one night UT let me and Kiimi out, and the bear was right outside the deck.  He had just pulled/bent the big bar holding all the feeders to the ground so he could get the seed.  When he heard us, he went into the trees by the burn barrel. Kiimi stayed on the porch with UT, but I took off after the bear. (No one told me how big they are!)   I would run at the bear, barking, and then back up when he came toward me.  This happened a few times, and then the bear ran up the side of the driveway with me at his heels.  (The reason UT could tell OFA all this was because they had fastened a red, blinking light to my collar so they would know where I am in the dark.  UT could see my light going forward, then back, and then down the driveway.)  I did stop following the bear and returned to UT and Kiimi who apparently knew it was not too wise to chase a bear.  Okay, so maybe I wasn’t being the brightest bulb in the pack, but what do you expect from a city dog?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment